Guatemala Antigua Fact Sheet
|Origin||Location||Climate and Humidity||Soil||Elevation||Characteristics||Strain||Notes|
a small region located around the historic colonial capital city of Antigua, produces some of the most sought after coffee in the world.
|Central America||Light frequent rainfall and strong sunshine. Grown under a dense canopy of shade.||Rich and volcanic, enriched with nitrogen from frequent volcanic eruptions||4000-5000 feet||Full, Attractive, spicy, Complete, Balanced||Bourbon – Sweet, complex and delicate, this is the pinot noir of coffee.||Around every 30 years the area around Antigua is subject to serious volcanic eruptions which provide additional nitrogen to the already rich soil.|
A small region located around the historic colonial capital city of Antigua, Guatemala produces some of the most sought after coffee in the world. Its geography means that this area provides ideal growing conditions for the desi arable Arabica strain of the coffea plant. These include:
- A warm and humid tropical climate
- Frequent rainfall with dry periods
- Forest and other vegetation to provide shade, high altitude (which slows down the growth of the coffee cherries allowing acidity and enhanced flavours to develop)
- Amazingly rich volcanic soil, added to by frequent volcanic eruptions. Great, nutrient packed soil is formed by the breakdown and erosion of rocks. This is why volcanic areas, where molten rock from the earth’s core is brought to the surface, are ideal for growing coffee. The unique mix of nutrients and minerals in soil has a meaningful, though complex, impact on the flavour of the coffee bean.
- Sloped incline which means that the coffee plant is well drained
This coffee is made up of beans that have been processed using the following method:
This process results in a coffee that is cleaner, brighter, and fruitier. In this Guatemala Antigua this method may be partly responsible for the fruity berry notes of flavour.
The Guatemala Antigua is roasted medium-dark. This level of roast preserves some of the varietal character of the bean ( full, attractive, spicy, winey, complete, balanced) whilst still developing flavours of sweet chocolate and nuttiness. The coffee maintains moderate acidity.
Moderate acidity, full body, complex flavour with berry, chocolate and nutty notes.